I'm very excited to start this blog dedicated to my two great loves: art and nail polish. While I'm simply a hobbyist in the art world, I've always loved drawing and making little crafts as a form of creation and self-expression. My love affair with nail polish began about four years ago, and my collection went from a couple pale pinks, to every colour (in multiple shades) of the rainbow. Nail art was a natural progression and became the perfect way to bring the two together!
I'll be posting written and photo tutorials on my designs. I hope they'll be simple and easy to follow, but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
I will also be doing nail polish reviews. For me, I like to do research before buying most nail polishes, so I hope I can be of some help to you here.
Alright, FINALLY, let's get started! Today, let's paint Totoro from Hayao Miyazaki's beloved movie "My Neighbour Totoro." I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched this movie as a kid, so I certainly enjoyed having a cute little Totoro on my nails.
|Left to right: American Apparel "Factory Gray", Sally Hansen "White On", Sally Hansen "Black Out"|
|A bobby pin, toothpick, Sally Hansen black nail art pen|
Base: Paint all your nails gray.
Totoro: put him on your accent nail
1) About halfway up your nail, paint a white square, leaving a bit of room on either side, for Totoro's belly
2) Use the round end of a bobby pin to dot on two white circles for eyes
3) Either dip a toothpick into black polish, or use a nail art pen for the black details (eyes, nose, whiskers)
4) Use a toothpick to make inverted V shapes on Totoro's belly (I did mine the wrong way - oops)
Soot Sprites: create as many of these as you want!
1) Use a bobby pin to create black dots of different sizes - the soot sprites look kind of fuzzy, so don't worry about neatness here!
2) Do their eyes the same way you did Totoro's!
I hope you enjoyed my first nail art tutorial! I'd love to hear comments and see your own nail art pictures!